KG Heart Center
The KG Heart centre provides world-class cardiac carewith a skilled cardiac team and state-of-the-art facilities.
The heart centre is equipped with the latest in modern Coronary Care including a Coronary Care Unit, Color Doppler, Computerized treadmill, and the latest Digital Cath Lab.
KG Hospital’s Department of Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery is doing excellent service in diagnostic as well as interventional clinical care and management of cardiac patients. In its distinguished history, thecentre has treated more than 20,000 heart attack and heart failure patients and performed multiple closed and open-heart surgeries.
Our cardiac department is equipped with the following facilities:
We have a Portable Colour Doppler System (Esotec), which is being used in the Casualty Coronary Care Unit and Intensive Care Medical Care Unit for emergency bedside of echo cardiogram. Angiography, which involves getting a detailed picture of the heart and angioplasty, which involves removing the blockages in the heart’s blood vessels. We have got Intra Aortic Balloon Pump (IABP) system, which is being used in CCU for critically ill patients before undergoing PTCA or CABG. Cardiac Surgery: a team of about 30 individuals, Cardiac Surgeons of world repute and full-fledged, modern operation theatres, ably assist the Department of Cardiology. Here complex congenital as well as high-risk CABGs, single and double valve replacements with or without CABG are being routinely done with success rates comparable to international standards. To shift the critically ill patients from the peripheral hospitals, we have got the latest state-of-the-art Ambulance Responder 2000 with facilities such as defibrillator, ventilator and manned by an Intensivist and a team of technicians.
Dr. S.K. Varma
Dr. S.K. Varma
Chief Cardio Thoracic & Vascular Surgeon
- Digital Cath lab with 7beded ICU
- Well Equipped 2 Operation theaters with 10beded ICU
- 3D Echo Cardiogram with TEE
- 128 slice Heart CT Scan
- 1.5 Tesla Cardiac MRI
- EECP Therapy
- 24hours Blood Bank
- 24hours Laboratory
KG Heart Surgery Centre is equipped with a modern Cardiac Surgery Operation Theatre, state-of-the-art model Heart-Lung machine and boasts of a well-equipped CCU (Cardiac Care Unit) with the latest in modern facilities including a latest model of Intra Aortic Balloon Pump (IABP). This Department has an open-heart surgery program wherein open-heart surgeries of all genres are performed for various cardiac emergencies.
- CABG (Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting).
- Coronary Bypass (CABG) on beating heart without using Heart Lung Machine (CPB).
- All type of valve replacement/ repair.
- Aneurysmal Surgeries.
- Congenital heart surgeries like ASD, VSD
- Tetralogy of fallots (TOF).
- TAPVC (Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous connection)
- Double chamber right ventricle (DCRV).
- Aorto pulmonary window etc.,
- All type of closed heart surgeries like PDA.
- Closed Mitral Valvotomy (CMV).
- Coarctation of Aorta (COA), BT Shunt etc.
In addition to the above the centre also extends its services to Vascular, Pulmonary, Mediastinal Surgeries departments within K.G. Hospital.
KG Hospital’s ‘Chest Pain Centre’ primarily focuses on treating severe pain or pressure in the chest, which could be a result of any of the following:
- Heart attack (acute myocardial infarction) Angina
- Aortic dissection (aortic rupture)
- Pulmonary embolism (lung attack)
- Non cardiac chest pain – pain from the chest wall or from Pneumonia The centre is staffed with skilled and dedicated professionals who understand that ‘fast action saves lives’ and have saved thousands of patients as a result.
Golden Hour and Heart Attack: ‘Golden Hour’ is the one-hour time frame from the inception of pain. A patient can be saved with a ~90% probability if treated within this one hour. At KGH we greatly value the ‘Golden Hour’ and we constantly raise awareness for the same. How to respond to a heart attack within the ‘Golden Hour’? Aim: reach KGH within 6 hours. Everyone hour delay results in muscle damage If you come within 1 hour from the inception of pain, we can put a stent – primary angioplasty If you are delayed we will give you clot busting drugs – thrombolysis DON’T IGNORE ANY MINOR SYMPTOMS DON’T SELF DIAGNOSE 1. Call for an emergency medical transport by dialing any of the following local emergency numbers Landline: 155, 0422-2399825, Vodafone: 255 Reliance: 155 Aircel: 155 Tata: 155 or 108 2. The patient may be given a loading dose Aspirin, Clopitab, Atorvastatin Nitroglycerin. This will keep his blood thin and flowing and extend golden hour by 2 hrs. However, please do not administer drugs without consultation.